On G4, 10.2.2, with Adaptec 2906, Yamaha CRW4260 sees but can't burn CD-R

John Bowen jbowen79 at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 8 14:38:44 PST 2003

Hi. I have an older, but quite usable external SCSI CD-RW drive.

Enclosure: APS
Mechanism: Yamaha CRW4260  (refers to the 4x-2x-6x speeds, I believe)

I use it regularly with my old Power Computing clone, under System
8.6. Though slow, it works fine.

OK. I also have a Sawtooth G4 running OS 10.2.2; works great. I want
to move this CD-RW drive to the G4.

I recently purchased and installed an Adaptec 2906 PCI SCSI card,
with drivers. The SCSI card appears to be recognized fine.

Apple System Profiler says:
CD-RW
Disk Burning                  Not supported.
Disk Size                        500.35 MB
SCSI Product Name        CRW4260
SCSI Target                    5
SCSI Product Revision    1.0h
SCSI Lun                         0
Product Identification    CRW4260
Vendor Identification     YAMAHA

With an audio CD inserted, it also says the title of the CD, then

Ejectable   Yes
Writable     No

In addition, I get similar indications from iTunes; it can see and
probably could import the tunes, but cannot burn CD. It says "CD
burner or software not found."

I get the same thing if I insert a blank CD-R disk into the drive.
The Finder recognizes it, and show a dialog giving me a choice of
launching iTunes, Disk Copy or Finder, or ejecting. If I select
Finder, it returns a message: You cannot burn this disc in the Finder
because the disc drive is not supported.

So basically, my question is what should I do? Is there any hope of
burning CD-R with this drive? Should I try Adaptec? Yamaha? Help! Any
tips are much appreciated.

John E. Bowen                               jbowen79 at pacbell.net
Atheneum, Inc.
(714)282-0127