[X-HW] Linksys Workgroup Gigabit Switch

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Fri Jan 17 14:18:25 PST 2003

On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 02:59  PM, Mark Gibson wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just received an email listing a Linksys Workgroup Gigabit Switch
> - 8 port for A$291.67 !!
> Every other 8 port Gigabit switch I've seen starts at about A$1,200
> and a "reputable" brand like Netgear is over A$2,000!
> Has anyone had any experience with these switches?
> Either this is "too good to be true" or a great deal!

Sounds like one of those "specs will get ya" things. Usually cheap
switches are hamstrung by their internal maximum speed with *all* ports
active. That's why a good 24 port switch can be $200 bucks, or $2000...

Let me put it this way:
Cheapie 8 port switch, 1000Mb: You can get 1000Mb from any one port to
another. With all ports active, you may only get 125 Mb-250Mb between
each port.
Expensive  8 port switch, 1000Mb: You can get 1000Mb from any one port
to another. With all ports active, you still get 1000 Mb between each
port.

Since it's aimed at 'workgroups', it's probably not designed for
constant activity on all ports. It's designed for bursting on different
ports, with people rarely bursting all at once. Depending on your
workflow, this may or may not be a bad thing. :-) I've seen prepress
workflows with constant activity on almost all ports, and ones that are
strictly low-bandwidth until spooler/RIP (where activity was almost
constant). Same goes for music, rendering, etc....

-Bop