[X-HW] Linksys Workgroup Gigabit Switch

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 17 14:52:12 PST 2003

At 15:18 -0700 17/1/03, Ronald Chmara wrote:

>Sounds like one of those "specs will get ya" things. Usually cheap
>switches are hamstrung by their internal maximum speed with *all*
>ports active. That's why a good 24 port switch can be $200 bucks, or
>$2000...

<snip>

Bop,

Yes I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" too. The home
set up is as follows:

Netgear MR314 Router (100T - but the cable modem on the other side is only 10T)
G4 tower with Gigabit (VXA FireWire Tape Drive and Retrospect 5)
iMac DV with 100T
PowerBook G4 1Ghz with Gigabit
PowerBook G4 500MHz with 100T
7220/200 with 10T
Laser Printer 10T

Netgear 8 port 10/100 switch.

What I was thinking of doing was replacing the switch (to remove a
bottleneck when the G4 backs up the PowerBook). Whilst the ideal, yet
expensive, option would be a "good" switch that provides 1Gb on all
ports at all times, maybe I can get away with this cheaper option as
long as it will give me two ports at 1Gb during the backup process.

I guess I'm trying to walk a fine line between "more money than
sense" and putting in appropriate infrastructure.

Thoughts?
--
Regards,
Mark (}-;

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more
important than any other one thing."   --Abraham Lincoln