[X-HW] Linksys Workgroup Gigabit Switch

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Fri Jan 17 14:58:47 PST 2003

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Mark Gibson wrote:

> At 15:18 -0700 17/1/03, Ronald Chmara wrote:
>
> Netgear MR314 Router (100T - but the cable modem on the other side is only 10T)
> G4 tower with Gigabit (VXA FireWire Tape Drive and Retrospect 5)
> iMac DV with 100T
> PowerBook G4 1Ghz with Gigabit
> PowerBook G4 500MHz with 100T
> 7220/200 with 10T
> Laser Printer 10T
> Netgear 8 port 10/100 switch.
>
> What I was thinking of doing was replacing the switch (to remove a
> bottleneck when the G4 backs up the PowerBook). Whilst the ideal, yet
> expensive, option would be a "good" switch that provides 1Gb on all
> ports at all times, maybe I can get away with this cheaper option as
> long as it will give me two ports at 1Gb during the backup process.
>
> I guess I'm trying to walk a fine line between "more money than
> sense" and putting in appropriate infrastructure.

I have a similar layout, using a Netgear 2xGB/16x10-100 switch.  If your
need isn't pressing, I might suggest waiting a bit longer.  Gb switches
are starting to come down, and I expect them to come down pretty fast and
hard over the next three months or so, as the older commercial bleeding
edge designs are replaced with newer, commodity SOHO offerings.  Netgear,
for example, has come out with a 4-port gig switch that is clearly a
redesign and closer to $50/port than $100.

Just my opinion.

KeS