[X-HW] Linksys Workgroup Gigabit Switch

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Fri Jan 17 15:41:53 PST 2003

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Mark Gibson wrote:

> I look forward to it.
>
> The current Netgear GS104, 4 port switch (which is still the "old"
> rugged blue box design - not the rounded platinum) has a recommended
> retail here of A$1,399 (roughly A$350 per port), the next model up
> (again blue box design) is the 16 port GS516T which has a retail of
> A$4,800 (A$300 per port).
>
> A$4,800 (roughly USD$2,400) is a lot of money to justify to myself,
> let alone the holder of the purse strings.

Yes, it is rather silly.  One of the reasons I expect the prices to come
down shortly is the contrast between the switch per-port price and the
price of a gigabit NIC, which is already below $40 now.

Hang in there.  I picked up the NetGear cheap, or I'd still be doing what
I did before, which is doing a direct-connect gigabit connection to my
server when it was time for backup.

KeS