[X-HW] Open Firmware and MacOSX Related Question

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon Mar 3 13:21:38 PST 2003

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 12:43  PM, Chris Foote wrote:

>> No, it is a beige mini tower but with full color monitor. Both the
>> built
>> in video card and the added on ATI Rage 128 are in full color.
>>
>> <snip>
> Many people don't realize that OS X needs a lot of breathing room. I
> would never try to put it into less than 5 GB. So I would either get a
> bigger HD or use only a single partition.

Keep in mind for the older G3's like the beige mini-tower in question,
the entire OS X has to be in the first partition and that partition has
to be less that 8 GB. So if you put it a big HD and want to use it to
boot OS X you have to make the first partition less than 8 GB, 7.9 GB
being the safe size to put in. One tech note that addresses the issue
can be found at <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25249> .

-Mike