[X-HW] CD Burning for older Macs

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Fri Nov 28 12:29:30 PST 2003

At 12:48 -0500 11/28/03, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
>On Friday, Nov 28, 2003, at 09:32 Canada/Eastern, Evan Holt wrote:
>
>>Has anyone noticed that CDs burnt in Jaguar or Panther aren't readable on old Performas? I can burn a CD in Windows and it will read on the Performa, so I don't think it has to do with the drive itself.
>
>Most likely, it's a file system issue. What Performas are you talking about? What version of the OS? What format do you write your CDs in? Versions of the Mac OS prior to 8.1 cannot handle HFS+, but they can handle ISO9660, which is most likely the format your Windows CD is in.

Can you expound a bit more on that?  The biggest difference between HFS and HFS+ is the size of the allocation blocks and possibly wasted space on large drives. For a 600 or so MB CD-ROM that's not so important. Actually I'm not sure what allocation blocks would be required on a write-once CD-ROM.

Why would OS neXt not use ordinary HFS?

Were the long name extensions to ISO9660 ever implemented in the Mac OS?

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--