[X-HW] CD Burning for older Macs

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Fri Nov 28 13:51:40 PST 2003

Doug McNutt wrote on Friday, November 28, 2003:
>The biggest difference between HFS and HFS+ is the size of the
>allocation blocks and possibly wasted space on large drives. For a 600
>or so MB CD-ROM that's not so important. Actually I'm not sure what
>allocation blocks would be required on a write-once CD-ROM.

Whoa!  There's a *lot* of differences between HFS and HFS+ beyond just the allocation block size.  While this was the most notible change when moving from 8.0 to 8.1, HFS+ layed the foundation for long filenames, Unicode support, permissions, localized timestamps, meta-data, larger volumes, larger file limits, and more.  Much of this was in anticipation of Apples' next geneation OS.  The changes were quite significant.

>Why would OS neXt not use ordinary HFS?

Because a lot of stuff on OS X can't even be written to HFS.