10.3.3 Upgrade slowdown and keyboard problems

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Fri Apr 2 08:48:32 PST 2004

My iBook (original tangerine clamshell) had been running Jaguar
(10.2.8) very acceptably, primarily for Mail, AOL, and various
browsers. I installed 10.3 without any significant degradation. But the
10.3.3 upgrade has been a disaster. While the installation went ok,
everything is super slow.

Starting up takes 25 minutes before it's finished! Most finder actions
invoke the spinning rainbow. Although they're unusable, apps still run
'normally' but very slowly.

This acts like a memory problem, and prolly is, but there conceivably
could be some other reason. It has a 256 MB memory card for a total of
288 MB, so I can't run the system without the memory card; however the
memory hasn't failed any of the startup tests.

Now the keyboard doesn't work in OS X but does with an OS9 boot.

If I start in OS9, everything works normally, including the keyboard.
This adds to my perplexion because the keyboard was working until I
opened the machine to re-insert the memory (which didn't change
anything), so I could understand it if I had disrupted the keyboard
cable and that had caused a HARD failure.

The trackpad hasn't been working for two years so that prolly isn't the
problem.

So my dilemma is:

1) Is it the memory board? I don't have a known-good board big enough
to swap.

2) Or is it a Unix/OS X problem? Is it always looking for something,
like the internal keyboard and trackpad, that isn't there? (I have an
Apple keyboard and Apple mouse plugged into the USB port.)

3) Or is it something else? Following the KB article (which I can't
find now) I checked for the slow startup problem from 10.3.2 (which
strangely started ok for me),  and got the "no file" message.

All this was repeatable. I repartitioned, installed 9.2.1 in the
smaller partition (6 GB), and Panther and its upgrades in the larger
partition (13 GB), with the results described above.

Jon