10.3.3 Upgrade slowdown and keyboard problems

John B. Thoo jb2 at ms.yuba.cc.ca.us
Sat Apr 3 07:16:29 PST 2004

On Apr 3, 2004, at 6:01 AM, in Mac OS X Hardware Jon Warms wrote:

> My iBook (original tangerine clamshell) had been running Jaguar
> (10.2.8) very acceptably, primarily for Mail, AOL, and various
> browsers. I installed 10.3 without any significant degradation. But the
> 10.3.3 upgrade has been a disaster. While the installation went ok,
> everything is super slow.
>
> Starting up takes 25 minutes before it's finished! Most finder actions
> invoke the spinning rainbow. Although they're unusable, apps still run
> 'normally' but very slowly.

Hi.  I'm only guessing, but maybe something went wrong during the
"optimizing" step.  You may try optimizing manually by executing
update_prebinding.

  1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities).

  2. Type:  update_prebinding -root /

3. After the operation finishes, quit Terminal.

See <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25442>.

Good luck.
---John.