10.3.3 Upgrade slowdown and keyboard problems

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Wed Apr 28 11:01:56 PDT 2004

First, thanks to those who either posted replies or emailed directly
for sharing their solutions and comments.

Since Sunday, the iBook has been up and running 10.3.3 at a very
respectable speed and quality. That's a first-gen iBook with a 300 mHz
chip, a 20 GB HD, and 288 MB memory.

After nearly a dozen installs of various kinds on various partitions, I
decided to go one last time, this time completely default. Voilà!

I erased the drive, wiping the contents with zeroes to emphasize to
myself that I was starting clean. Installed Panther from a retail disk
with default options, which installed 10.3.2. I used this for an hour
or so and found it very usable - at times even snappy - with AOL,
Safari, IE, and Preview. Restarts were slow (still about 25-30
minutes), but reliable. So I used SW Update to update Java, QT, and
10.3.3.

Since then, we've ran the same programs with generally good results.
Safari got confused once and I had to reboot (still slow). I
established a network with my XP box over Airport and transferred about
180MB of pictures in about an hour, and then used Preview to look at
some of them. The keyboard works perfectly, so I think this was a disk
or OS problem. The trackpad is still bad, but a mouse is just as good.
Finally, I guess the add-on memory chips (256MB) are fine.

The bottom lines are: 1) I've found that 10.3.3 will run - usably and
nicely - on a 300 MHz processor with only 288 MB of memory, 2) My wife
has regained her computer, and 3) I can put off buying a new 'Book
until the G5 arrives.