FW cables

John simplymail at ururk.com
Fri Apr 30 07:36:53 PDT 2004

Tested on: PB G4 550, PM G5, PM G4, Dell
OS tested on: 9.2, 9.2.2, 10.2.8, 10.3.1, 10.3.2, 10.3.3, Win XP

I just purchased a 2.5" enclosure for my "old" 20GB HD (Meritline combo
USB/FW400).

The supplied FW cable would not work with any computer (mac, pc, tried
about 6 machines). It was thin and flimsy - 6 pin. The drive powered
up, but would not mount.

I had a clear FW cable, another off brand - this cable (6 pin) didn't
work. The drive would power up, but not mount.

I found a thick black FW cable at work, and tried it - it worked.
Mounted consistently. Switching between cables did not change anything
(the bad cable still did not work, the good cable always worked).

What gives? Are cables really that "finicky"? I know the cheap clear
cable works, because my iPod mounts and charges fine from it. I also
have a FW CD burner, which works fine with the clear cable as well.

Any ideas or thoughts on this odd situation would be appreciated.

John Pariseau