[X-HW] Canon or Nikon cameras and OS X

Jens Selvig jjsiii at montana.net
Mon Dec 13 08:53:25 PST 2004

On Dec 13, 2004, at 9:03 AM, John wrote:

>> Probably the biggest downside to the D70, and this would apply to
>> other digital cameras, is getting dust on the photo cell. I have to
>> clean mine at least weekly which is a pain.
>
> Is it durable - to the point where you are not afraid of damaging it?

Seems to be pretty tough. What I am cleaning is the defusing glass that
is over the sensor. I suppose there is a significant risk of scratching
the glass but there also is no other choice.

>> I have never used the built in USB connection to transfer my files to
>> the computer. I now save all of my images in RAW format and
>> manipulate them in Photoshop CS using Adobe's RAW image plugin. Works
>> really very well giving great control over the importing of the
>> image.
>
> Good! Does Photoshop CS's plugin work in real time? I don't think I'll
> be able to get a raw file to test out.

No.  I suppose you could create an action that would make it nearly
real time but of course you would be looking at a digital file. There
is no realtime image to view with the D70 because of the mirror. The
RAW images are about 5-6 megs. Not sure I could even send you one as my
isp might choke on the size.

Jens

Jens Selvig
...lost in Montana...