Directing output to a second monitor

CFlatow cflatow at optonline.net
Thu Feb 26 06:30:42 PST 2004

Hi,

I have just joined this list. I am hoping to learn about what resources
may be available to direct output to a second monitor attached to my
TiBooks VGA jack, beyond simply dragging a window over and re-sizing it.

I will start by describing what I can do on a PC running XP. I have
been looking for a way to do the same thing on Macs. I have asked about
this on several other lists with no real solution.

On the PC I am using one of several software packages available (PC
only) to present cases on large electronic displays in court. The
product I am currently using is called Visionary
<http://www.visionarylegaltechnologies.com/>. Here's what it can do (as
far as presentation is concerned).

I import various files and file types (text files, movie files, movies
with associated text and picture files) wherein it establishes their
path and associates them to a database.
Then I can select items, either one at a time or set up pre-defined
zooms, add effects like highlighting, underlining, etc. and save this
data for later display of an instance of the data with these features.

But here's the part I am really trying to find out about in this forum:
When I click on a specific icon it will take that item and display it
on my second monitor on the extended desktop.
BAM- whatever piece of data I set up on my primary screen, no matter
how I prepare it, I hit this icon and it plays on the second monitor
(or projector). All the viewers see is what I've prepared and none of
the fuss I go through, BUT, I don't have to drag a window over and
re-size it. As a matter of fact there are some pre-sets available to
let me send my file over to about a dozen pre-scripted locations, such
as lower left corner, top half of screen, etc.

Is there a mechanism for this kind of control available on the Mac??? I
have not found it.

Thanks for your attention,

Carl