[X-HW] upgrade questions

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jan 14 14:34:22 PST 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 3:57 PM, Tiernan O'Toole wrote:

> Right. im getting a new hard drive on saturday. its going to be an
> 80gb Hitachi 7200RPM drive. its going into a G3 iMac. i was told that
> anything over 8gb would have to be partitioned.

First, I'd double check. Only the original "bondi" iMacs (and beige
G3's) needed to have the OS installed on an 8 GB or less partition.

>  how do i do that! i have OSX 10.3.

Start from the CD, just like you did before. When the installer screen
comes up, something like "Start Disk Utility" will be available in one
of the menus at the top of the screen (don't know if its under File,
Edit or a different one). Once Disk Utility has started up, you can
select the drive and go the the "Partition" panel. Its pretty simple
from there.

Hope that gets you started.

-Mike