[X-HW] upgrade questions

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Wed Jan 14 15:16:06 PST 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 15:57, Tiernan O'Toole wrote:

> i was told that anything over 8gb would have to be partitioned. how do
> i do that! i have OSX 10.3. the last time i installed it, it gave no
> option to partition. it just gave the option of format.

If you have web access before you start this process, check out this
Apple kbase article.  It explains what models need to have Mac OS X
fully within the first 8GB of a hard drive.  It also explains exactly
how to do so.

> also, the other 72 or so Gig. i would like to have my home directory
> on that. how is that done? is this all questions asked when i do it?

Well, having your home directory on a partition that is not the
startup/OS X partition isn't standard.  I know it can be done, but it
does require a bit of effort (or at least it did under 10.2.x; don't
know about 10.3.x).  I haven't personally done it, so perhaps someone
here who has could chime in with a link or details on exactly "how to"?

Anyway, hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Gretchen