Firewire Daisy-Chain

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 28 08:34:37 PST 2004

>From: warwick teale <warwick_teale at mac.com>
>Subject: Re: [X-HW]
>Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:50:29 +0800
>
>HI, yeah.. a suggestion.
>
>May be an  issue of the failed drive may have been caused by having the
>isight camera on the same FW "hub"/"chain  as the drive. Several others
>and I had the same problem.
>
>Method:
>
>1) use isight camera by itself (only thing on FW path) when not powered
>from FW hub (powered externally that is)
>2) if necessity - then use isight camera through POWERED HUB (external
>power to the hub) when connecting other FW devices.
>
>Likely cause is that isight power consumption may cause some issues on
>buss... but that's a guess!
>
>Anyway, I had a 250GB drive hosed (lost all data (100GB) worth due this
>problem.

>hk
>On 27/01/2004, at 10:28 PM, Jon Warms wrote:
>
>  > Anyone have any experience with daisy-chaining Firewire devices?
><snip>
>
>  > Jon

Firewire drives have known problems with the iSight. This was on
MacFixit this week.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html