[X-HW] FW cables

John simplymail at ururk.com
Mon May 3 09:05:41 PDT 2004

> It's difficult to say why it works with one device, but not with
> another. Some devices may have higher tolerances for data loss; but it
> may be something else. For instance, a poor cable may allow
> interference internally from a noisy ground. If you connect it to a
> device with poorly-designed or -manufactured (i.e., noisy) circuits,
> the ground will interfere with the signal; but a high-quality device
> should have quiet circuits, and it won't put a lot of noise into the
> ground.

Should I be worried then about the quality of the FW case? I tried the
cable that came with my Western Digital 120 GB FW drive, I tried my
iPod cable, and neither of them worked! I knew it was a cheap deal, and
(next time!) will go with a Macally or better case.

I'll see if I can find out where this cable was made, that is, the
cable that works.

John Pariseau