[X-HW] FW cables

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Mon May 3 09:35:51 PDT 2004

On May 3, 2004, at 9:05 AM, John wrote:
> Should I be worried then about the quality of the FW case?

In a word, yes.  I have purchased a number of cases which have the
Oxford 911 chipset, and have had no problems, ever.  I recently
purchased a very inexpensive case which used the Genesys 711 chipset,
and have had repeated problems including lockups and kernal panics.
While I have no proof that it is the chipset, I have no problems when I
do not use that case, and I have frequent problems when I do use it.  I
have also used the drive in other cases with no problems. I like the
cases from OWC computing and from Wiebetech.  My problem case was
branded Coolmax.  I have only one coolmax case, so it may be a lemon.
YMMV

Cheers,
    Drew

- Andrew T. Lynch