[X-HW] memory question

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Tue Sep 14 21:56:21 PDT 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 20:29, Valerie Maples wrote:

> Does anyone know if I can use PC 133 SDRAM from a Mac G4 in a
> blue-and-white Mac G3 that came with PC100 SDRAM?  The guy at Apple
> said they only expect the stock 128 MB of RAM to be returned with the
> machine and that I was free to keep the added RAM.  I am hoping that
> is one of those cases that you can use faster RAM, but not slower
> RAM.  I'm pretty sure they're the same size physically.

That should work fine, unless it's  a larger-capacity stick that the
older machine just doesn't recognize. Go ahead and try it. With this
particular combination, the worst that can happen is the RAM either not
being recognized, or being recognized as a smaller capacity - 256
instead of 512, for example.

As for transferring files:
Your zip won't quite fit in a G5, but you can get an external USB (or
FW) zip drive. If it's a zip250, it will read your cartridges. Have you
considered burning CDs? Most of the Quicksilver machines shipped with a
burner.

You could also put the old hard drive into a firewire enclosure. This
is not as good an idea, since Apple is expecting to receive the entire
computer, not part of it.

You can't connect the two machines, since you need to ship your old
machine to Apple first. You might want to ask your Apple contact if
they can ask one of the Apple Retail Stores to help make the exchange -
they may then be able to do data transfer if necessary (though they may
charge for it).

--
Scott