[X Newbies] Changing The DNS Connection

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 6 12:45:42 PST 2002

Thanks for all the advice.  I think I got this under control now.

To get the proper DNS to be picked up automatically:

In the System Preferences > Network > Location:Automatic pane :

(1)  In "DNS Servers", enter the numerical IP address of the DNS server,
which you can get from your friendly IT guru.

(2)  In "Search Domains", enter the name of this server, usually
"yourCompany.com" and you need the ".com".

(3)  Also in "Search Domains", enter "local." (It will not take ".local")

Furthermore I believe that you need do only one of the above three, but I've
not tested all combinations.

I also found another tip: If you have the freeware OTTool from Neon Software

http://www.neon.com

It tells you on the opening window (cmd + 9) what DNS (IP address number and
Domain Name) you are connected through.  It's quite handy for
troubleshooting stuff like this.  However, the only way I can see to make it
update the view after changing locations is to quit and re-launch OTTool
1.2.1.

Jerry