USB to SCSI - has anyone tried it ?

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Sat Dec 7 09:56:58 PST 2002

gregoire at pobox.com wrote:

>Has anybody tested a USB to SCSI connector ? Does it work ?

Yes and Yes, but ONLY in MacOS 9.  I have an Adaptec USBXchange, and it
works quite well in OS 9, but is is totally unsupported in X.

>Adaptec brought one out three years ago and quickly withdrew it.

They replaced it with the upgraded model above.  Their first adapter was
called the USBConnect or something like that.  It was a failure.  The
USBExchange is still available, but Adaptec has already commented that they
would never supply OS X drivers.

>Microtech sells one... anyone using it ?

No, but based on my experience with other Microtech products, I would stay
away from it.  Microtech support for OS X is virtually non-existent.  It
takes them 6-10 months to update their drivers after an OS X release, by
which time they are obsoleted by the next release of OS X.