[X Newbies] Can't save to etc directory

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon Dec 9 03:01:09 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:20:48PM +0200, Cybersmith wrote:
:
: I really am a newbie running 10.2.2, and I need some assistance with both
: the terminal and Apache. I am attempting to configure my httpd.conf file on
: Apache but the system will not allow me to save any file in the /etc/
: directory. I am able to save a copy of the file elsewhere on my drive.
: I presume that the reason I cannot save to the etc directory is that the
: user under which I have logged in does not have write privileges for that
: directory.
: I only have two users both of which are admin users, and neither of them
: will allow me to make changes to this file.
: What can I do to solve this situation?

Files in the /etc directory can only be modified by the admin user
called "root".  To edit those files, you must run an editor as "root".
The quick solution is "sudo".

	cd /etc
	sudo pico -w httpd.conf

--