How to delete files with Terminal

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Mon Dec 9 15:35:03 PST 2002

>Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 07:03:11 -0800
>Subject: [X Newbies]
>From: Donna Luder <dluder at earthlink.net>
>
>Hello all-
>I'm running 10.2 on a new Superdrive iMac and 10.1.x on a G4 powerbook.
>   I often end up with files in my trash can that I can't delete because
>they are locked.  Yet, when I open the trash can to figure out how to
>unlock the files, it's empty.  My cousin was visiting a few months ago
>and he emptied my trash but now it's full again.  Normally I would just
>ignore it, but now there are about 30 copies of Netscape in there and I
>have to click the little "Ignore" box over and over and over and over
>every time I empty the trash.  So how do I use terminal to delete those
>files?  I looked in my Mac OS X Bible and my Little Black Book on OSX
>and neither of them had any suggestions.  I'm hoping someone here will.
>Thanks in advance
>Donna

Before we go through that, have you tried holding the option key down
while deleting? How do you know there are files there if it's empty
when you open it?
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html