mail stuff

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 12 21:08:23 PST 2002

Oh oh!  While cricket is listening, a couple of "Mail" things:

  - it would be nice if the popup you get when the server rejects your
password had some option like "My lame-O ISP's mail server is hosed yet
one more time, so wait a while and try again" instead of the only
option being to retype the password and re-check the box. You just
can't *imagine* how many times I've done that in the past few months.
(A more succinct label would be OK ;)

- when you putz an address and the SMTP server bounces it back (usually
this happens when I type in a name like "Bob" and hit the tab before
mail gets a chance to complete the name with a valid address), it would
be nice if there were an option to edit the address and try again. As
it is, you only have the option to try another SMTP server, or send the
mail to wait in Out queue. Its so annoying to see the error right
there, but have to hit the "cancel", watch the window go away, open the
mailboxes window, hit the "out box" , open message, fix the address
error, then hit send. Every time I make that error, I think "Boy, after
that whipping, I'm sure not going to make that mistake again", but
sooner or later . . . wham.

And while we're at it, that Bayesian spam filter rocks. I'm getting
about 20 a day, and its making maybe 1 mistake a week at most.

Thanks,
SR