[X Newbies] OSX Trim The Fat

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 13 07:21:51 PST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 11:28  PM, Nigel Williamson wrote:

> My question is... Is there any bits of the OS I can delete that will
> make it run faster?

Do you have Classic running? From my experience that can give you a
pretty good performance hit, even it there's nothing actually running
in Classic.

Other than that, my first step would be to find out what's causing the
slow-down.  If you're familiar with the command line, you might want to
run top to see what's happening, but since this is a Newbies list the
alternative is to run  "Process Viewer" which can be found in
/Applications/Utilities. Is there a single app/process that's hogging
the CPU?

There's also a utility called iPulse, which I think can be found from
www.versiontracker.com. It will give you a more comprehensive view of
what's going on with respect to other parts of the system.

Bottom line, rather than trying to trim everything you can down, find
out what's actually causing the slow-down. It may be there's nothing
you can do about it and you can end up spending a lot of time for
little or no result.

-Mike