[X Newbies] Removing Old User

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 13 07:06:28 PST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 05:47  PM, Nigel Alleyne wrote:

> 1. Let say your mac have User X only.
>
> 2. you sold your mac, so I deleted User X and create User Y but I did
> all
> this logged in at the root user.

How did you delete User X? Did you use the "Users" panel in System
Preferences or NetInfo Manager?

> 3. now at time the person I sold my mac to will call saying that User
> X will
> still show up.
>
> 4. How can I totally get ride of User X?????

The best way (IMO) would be to erase the drive and re-install the OS.
In fact whenever I've sold a computer I erase the hard drive using a
utility that will overwrite the entire contents. Then I will install
the newest versions of the software that is being sold with the
computer plus any free software updates that I have locally (don't put
your ISP info into a computer you're selling).

-Mike