[X Newbies] OSX Trim The Fat

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Fri Dec 13 20:22:56 PST 2002

Also - have you fired up OS9 and run DiskWarrior tools on your OSX
partition? Or from a DW CD?

The first time I optimized - I checked out the screen that shows graphically
how your HD is sorted - it is not. OSX, from scratch installs a mess of
stuff all over the place.

Did receive a tiny performance boost from those steps (Plus run MacJanitor
every other day - I think you said you leave your machine on anyway).

On 12/13/02 4:30 PM, "Nigel Williamson" <nigel.williamson at mojo.com.au>
wrote:

> At 9:21 -0600 on 13/12/02, Michael Winter wrote:
>> Bottom line, rather than trying to trim everything you can down,
>> find out what's actually causing the slow-down. It may be there's
>> nothing you can do about it and you can end up spending a lot of
>> time for little or no result.
>
> I think you've hit the nail on the head Mike. There seems to be no
> one app that's causing me grief... the entire system is just not as
> fast as I would like it to be. Which I attribute to a variety of
> things... Slow processor (550), not really enough ram (512M), slow HD
> (5200RPM) and not really enough space on the drive at any given time
> (perhaps 2G free max on average).
>
> Think I'll just have to grin and bare until I upgrade my hardware.
>
> Thank you all for your responses.
>
> Nigel

Bill Reburn