[X Newbies] Apple Mail

Grégoire Seither gregoire at pobox.com
Mon Dec 16 16:58:33 PST 2002

Le mardi, 17 déc 2002, à 01:29 Europe/Paris, cricket a écrit :
>> - An easier way to handle multiple mail accounts (every time I
>> activate another POP account I get a message "Account so and so
>> already uses..."
>
> Presumably you are only wanting to add new email addresses to an
> existing account? If so, just add more addresses to the Email Address
> field, separated by commas.

No, I create a new account in Preferences since sometimes I need to
send mail under my business identity and not under my personal name...
but both accounts have the same settings, both use the same ISP...
except for the name. When I do this and try to modify the settings for
one of the accounts Apple Mail sends me a warning :

 >Incorrect directory
 >/Users/gregwah/Library/Mail/POP-dingo at mail.club-internet.fr is already
in use by >“CreateX Limited

>> - Some kind of script that would import Filters and Signatures from
>> Entourage or Outlook
>
> The support is there on the Mail side to do this via Applescript.

No, it will import messages and calendars, but not the accounts, rules
and signatures from Entourage... I've tried it numerous times.

>> - Importing a tab delimited text file into the Address Book (or some
>> kind of gimmick that would convert my present excel address sheet
>> into something Adress Book could import.
>
> Use the script called Import Addresses.scpt on your hard drive:

No again, it will import the address book from entourage but it will
not accept a tab delimited text file. My address book used to be in
Day-to-Day, when i switched to Mac OS X I wanted to import my
contacts... but Address Book only accepts LDIF format and Day-t--day
can only import to tab-delimited text... so I need a script that will
convert my tab delimited file into something that Apple Mail can import.

>> - Indexation still slows down the application, any way to stop it
>> from running every time I change something in a folder ?
>
> You can stop activities individually in the Activity Viewer, but not
> in a global way. Indexing is unlikely the slow the application down.
> It may be something else, but the Activity Viewer is convincing you
> it's indexing at fault.

No, when I move a great number of messages from a folder to another
(for example when i do my monthly sorting and cleaning of my "Sent
messages" box) Apple Mail will slow down to a crawl and typing will be
jumpy while the message "indexing message 189 of 3578" appears in the
status bar. I have almost 2 Gigs of messages, remember....