[X Newbies] HP Laserjet 4M not working under 10.2.2

Carl Falb cfalb at infinet.com
Thu Dec 19 13:15:37 PST 2002

At 10:40 AM -0600 on 12/18/02, Michael Winter wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 10:03  AM, Web wrote:
>
>>My HP Laserjet 4M is not working anymore under OS 10.2.2 on my
>>powerbook G4. I used it before with 10.2 and 10.2.1 through Gimp
>>print, but now it stopped..
>
>We have the same printer here. I've never needed to use Gimp print
>to use it, but I did have a lot of trouble that sounds similar to
>what you're experiencing, until I downloaded the newest driver and
>PPD for it from the HP web site. Have you checked to see if there's
>anything newer on the HP web site?
>
>I should note that I do have both Gimp print and Ghostscript
>installed, just not in use for that particular printer. Also, this
>printer is connected to the ethernet network via an AsantePrint
>adapter.

I have had the same problems with my 4M, (also connected with
AsantePrint from my G4/400,) especially printing files with lots of
data such as large .pdf files and web pages. I begin to think it is a
memory issue with the printer, but have no proof. But the same
sequence of events: appears in Print Center, light flashes on
printer, then "poof" it's gone and nothing printed. I couldn't get
the HP drivers installed with 10.2.2 to work consistently, and the
most recent updater from HP is more than a year old, so I am not
optimistic.

I find printing in OSX rather mysterious. There's CUPS and Gimp-Print
and GhostScript (all loaded on my machine) and other Unix and GNU
stuff. The drivers that seem to work best for me are "hpijs and
foomatic" drivers, but I don't know where I got them. But even they
aren't perfect because non-black elements of web and .pdf pages are
printed in tones of gray, making it difficult to read or see. It's
like the driver is trying to print to an inkjet machine.

This is one of the reasons I return to OS9 again and again. Indeed,
to get some of the files to print correctly, I save it as a .pdf file
in OSX, open Acrobat Reader 4.0.5 in Classic, and print it the "old
fashioned" way.

I see lots of traffic about printing problems in OSX. People seem to
relate them to the printers they are using, but one common theme is
"it looks like it is going to print, but it doesn't." I think it has
to do with OSX, but what do I know?

-Carl

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
and the pessimist fears that this is true. - James Branch Cabell