[X Newbies] finds server in os 9 but not in os10.

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Sun Dec 29 23:35:46 PST 2002

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 08:55:03PM -0500, tom at twinoaks.org wrote:
:
: running a 1 gig quicksilver. OS 10.1.2    I access the internet through
: a wintel network via ethernet.

The Internet runs on TCP/IP.  It doesn't care about Wintel anything.

: when I try to get to the net using both
: opera 6.0 or explorer that came with OS X I am told that the server
: could not be found.  When I am in classic Opera 5 and explorer both
: connect to the net.

Do you have to go through a proxy server?  Ask your local network admin.
If he doesn't know the answer, fire him.

: Also can I download X upgrades through classic if X can't get to the
: net?

Yes, but not through Software Update.  You need to visit Apple's support
web site and manually download any updates:

Eugene Lee
eugene at fsck.net