[X Newbies] Using partitions?

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Tue Nov 26 07:58:35 PST 2002

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 12:29  AM, Scott wrote:

> Not possible. The beige G3 requires 10 to be installed on the first
> partition, and requires that partition to be less than 8 GB in size.

And he has wisely set it to 7.9 GB. Seems some people have been bitten
by trying to set it at exactly 8, and as Scott says, it has to be less
than 8 (though 8 does seem to work for some, go figure).

I think, as others have hinted, the best procedure would be to find out
what's taking all the space. I think William mentioned iTunes music.
iPhoto may be another big drive user. Whatever folder(s) it is, I move
it/them to the other partition and create an alias to put in its place
on the startup drive.

I would avoid moving the entire "Users" folder over, as this has the
potential (however unlikely) of causing trouble down the road.

-Mike