Newbie Xserve Question

Joey Parshley kneeland at mac.com
Tue Nov 26 17:22:34 PST 2002

I am setting up our new Xserve and would like some pointers on where to
start. I have some real basic questions. I am a self described mac addict
and can do lots with the stand alone machine. I am the MIS dept. here and am
servicing win 25 servers. I have RTFM for Server but its all still a bit
fuzzy (especially Open Directory). I know I could stumble though this but I
want to do it the "right" way up front.

I want:
To implement RAID. Which would be better for disaster recovery 0 or 1 (I'm
thinking mirroring)? I have 4 120 Gb drives. Would it make sense to mirror
the last two and leave the first two as is? Here comes a real stupid
question: The drives are currently named their default name Macintosh Hard
drive. Does it matter if I rename then before RAID or would I be naming a
mirrored volume after implementing RAID. As far as the first two drives I
read some where to clone them so I will have two functional operating
systems in case one goes caput and as a backup during updates.

Everyone to authenticate via the server. I would like to have their "home
folder" be on the server so they can use any client.

Look into running everyone's applications from the server as well as install
fonts on the server with Suitcase Server.

My environment is as follows.
1 Xserve (not in production yet but running), 2 win 2k Servers, 2 XP users,
1 w98 user, 1 Mac OS9 user (for legacy issues), 13 OS X clients (eventually
3 currently X 10 - OS 9)

Please excuse the "basicness" of this post. I have several OS X books but
nothing strictly focusing on setting up a client server environment.

Oh Yeah, we are awaiting an XRAID in late December so any suggestions on
RAID 5 would also be appreciated.

Links to web resources in lieu of direct post would be fine also.

TIA
Joe