Setting up two printers

Wayne Salazar screen92 at attbi.com
Wed Nov 27 17:38:27 PST 2002

Vincent Cayenne wrote:
	Which HP LaserJet?
	Which hub?
	Is Classic running?
	Can the printer be seen from Classic?

It's an HP LaserJet 5MP I've had for years--it was connected to my
Performa and then to my G3, and always worked like a dream. Last year
when I got a cable modem and connected the printer, the G3, a PC
laptop, and the modem through a 3Com OfficeConnect Ethernet hub, the
printer worked fine for the G3 (but not for the PC, even though we
downloaded the driver to the PC). The lack of functionality for the PC
seemed odd, but we didn't pursue it further.

Now I've got my fabulous new iMac with Jaguar, and set up the HP
LaserJet the same way, through the same 3Com Ethernet hub that carries
the same cable modem and PC. The cable modem works fine for both
computers; but now the printer doesn't work for either computer.  I
downloaded HP's latest driver and even tried Gimp-Print. The trouble is
that the Print Center just doesn't "see" the LaserJet when I go to the
place to add printers. The Print Center does see the HP DeskJet 3820
that came free with the iMac, so that printer works fine. But now that
I have one laserjet and one deskjet, I'd like to reserve one for b&w
and the other for color. Classic is running, and the LaserJet can't be
seen from Classic, either.

So, now, why do you suppose the iMac can see the DeskJet, and not the
LaserJet? (I wouldn't dream of asking why the PC never could see the
LaserJet.) Any ideas, anyone?
TIA,
Wayne