[X Newbies] Graphics software

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Thu Nov 28 07:56:34 PST 2002

I am wondering if you were using Quark because you were doing professional
level creative work?

If that's where your interest is heading again, go talk to a professional
print shop. Find out what app's are used most in their pipeline. I know some
who won't accept anything but Quark files, some accept EVERYTHING - even
Corel work!

I would suggest Photoshop and InDesign over anything else, but budgets
always dictate alternative options. Check out Photoshop Elements as an
alternative to Photoshop and maybe consider Adobe's PageMaker for layout.

Just beware of any app's that advertise that they 'do it all'. They never
do.

On 11/27/02 11:53 PM, "David Flory" <daflory at pacbell.net> wrote:

>> In an earlier age, when I had a Performa, I had both Quark and
>> Photoshop that someone installed for me. Years later, I have an iMac
>> running Jaguar, and I'd like to get back into photo manipulation and
>> page layout. Does anyone know where I can get either of those
>> programs, or reasonably similar ones, without paying an arm and a leg?
>
> As others have already suggested, Graphic Converter is one of the best
> programs available for handling pictures. Forget Quarck, their support
> for the Mac sucks. There are a lot of good competing programs, just
> search Version Tracker for Web Design or Page layout. My personal pick
> is Canvas 8, it does photo stuff too. It's not cheap but it is pretty
> much an all purpose graphics program, does bitmap/paint stuff, vector
> graphics, page layout, etc, etc. Since it can take the place of several
> different specialized programs its price becomes pretty reasonable.
> I've used it since way back to version two. Oh yeah it also does scale
> drawings and dimensioning, CAD like stuff. I first started doing to do
> office setups using scale images of desks, chairs, etc. Our unit was
> able to move to another part of our building in one 8 hour day, other
> units took several days. The difference was the exact scale layouts we
> worked to.
> --
> -
> Dave Flory, San Jose, CA.  daflory at pacbell.net  Go Sea Kayaking!!  ©2002