[X Newbies] How the Grinch Stole 45GB of My Hard Drive

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Sat Nov 30 08:00:18 PST 2002

Could this be the problem of an invisible file??

Maybe install TinkerTool - turn on the "View Invis. Files" feature and
search from there? I know that misnamed files downloaded with LimeWire
sometimes go invisible. I doubt you just downloaded a 40gig file, but ya
never know eh!?

How annoying, goodluck!

On 11/29/02 11:27 PM, "Aaron Dickey" <thewar at adelphia.net> wrote:

> I wish I could provide some actual _information_ about my problem, but
> I'm afraid I can't say much except the basic facts. I'm using a 17-inch
> iMac, 512MB, 80GB. In practice, of course, that 80GB was more like
> 60-65GB, which is fine. Except that sometime during the last 3 days or
> so (if that long) around 40GB of that space has simply disappeared. As
> I type this, I've got a drive with 18.51 GB available, and for the life
> of me I can't figure out why. I used the find command to search for
> files by size, but there's nothing there out of the ordinary. I have
> download perhaps 1-2GB of software and data over the last week, but
> most of that I haven't even unstuffed yet.
>
> I've done a million Get Infos on files, folders, groups of files and
> folders, etc. The only place that is showing a grossly inflated size is
> my own Users/Me folder (Get Info says it's 47.34GB), but when I look at
> it, either in the Finder or in Unix,  simply does not show anywhere
> near that much space being used for the files that are visible.
>
> Now I know that with Unix, programs and files can sometime end up in
> strange places, and can often end up being invisible, so I thought I'd
> post here in case somebody could let me know of any Stupid Unix Tricks
> (or OS X Tricks) that might help find out what's suddenly sucking up
> half my drive space, 'cause I'm stumped.
>
> Thanks,
> --Aaron*-

> Check out the Mac OS X email list FAQ
> http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/X.html