[X Newbies] How the Grinch Stole 45GB of My Hard Drive

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Sat Nov 30 09:30:14 PST 2002

That's a big assumption that everyone is that comfortable with using the
Terminal (and that they even know what sudo is).

I agree with your comment, but as much fun as it is to bust open the
Terminal and hand code - I HATE doing that.

I don't know, it's not that hard for me to forget I am logged in as Root.

On 11/30/02 9:11 AM, "Kirk McElhearn" <kirklists at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> On 11/30/02 16:05, "Fred Mallett" <fredm at famece.com> wrote:
>

>> You will get many permission errors if you are not root, thus you may
>> not find where the stuff is hiding unless you enable root login, and use
>> that account.
>
> I would suggest not logging in as root, but using sudo instead. If you
> forget you have logged in as root, then make a mistake, it's reinstall time.
>

> Kirk
>
>     My forthcoming book: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line
>                    http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
> . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
> . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .

Bill Reburn