[X Newbies] swapfiles and changing swapdisk

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 30 10:07:59 PST 2002

On 11/30/02 19:02, "Vicki Schalin" <unicorn at dax.nu> wrote:

> But I totally agree with Bill Reburns post on changing swapdisk,
> don't do it just for fun. I did it, because I had to try something
> because "something" (turned out to be finder) made my system produce
> many swapfiles, so I had to get a larger area for swaps. But I would
> not put them together with ordinary files, that would increase
> fragmentation a lot, I think.

The only way you'll get any performance advantage from a separate swap disk
is if it is indeed a separate disk, not a partition. If it is a partition on
the same disk, your disk will work just as hard to get there - with a
separate disk, you'll have one disk reading and writing files, the other
just reading and writing the swap files. You'll get a small performance
gain.

Kirk

      My forthcoming book: Unix for Mac OS X: Learning the Command Line
                     http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .