Can't install 03 10.2

Ann & Bill wgreene1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 6 10:46:39 PDT 2003

 This is a copy of a letter I had sent to another list. I had a lot of
suggestions, which I will display, but I still can't install Jaguar. I have
installed OS X 10.5 on a separate partition. Thanks for any suggestions.
Bill Greene

I'm running a beige g3 with 352 mb ram and my hard drive is a 40 GB Seagate
Ultra ATA Barracuda . I have partition my drive and the 1st is 7.5 GB and
the 2nd is 29 GB. On my 2nd partition I'm running 9.2.2 and have been for
some time. I had installed 0S X 1.5 on my 1st partition with no problems.
The problem comes when I try to install OS X 2. ( I'm using the full
install, 2 disks) and I get within 6 minutes of the 1st disk finishing
installation when the monitor goes black and I can't get it to finish. I
have set my energy saver on 9.2.2 so that it never goes off but same
problem. I have sat at the monitor and have tried tapping the space bar at
least once a minute and still the same. I used the disk utility on the cd
when I partitioned the drive and each time after that I would erase that
partition with disk utility. No matter what I tried same results. I get to
the same 6 minute mark and nothing. I then have to reboot.
I called Apple support- they had no Idea.

> 7.5 GB and the 2nd is 29 GB. On my 2nd partition I'm running 9.2.2 and have
> been for
> Tango Firewire/USB card and a
> and then tried several more times with everything uninstalled including the
> Newer Tech accellerator. Same results.

Although I have an Newer Tech. G4 500mhz, a Tango Firewire/USB card and a
narrow scsi card I tried installing several times with above installed I
then tried several more times with everything uninstalled. Same results. The
only thing that wasn't Apple was my monitor and my Seagate drive. I don't
know if the Seagate is the problem or what. Any help, suggestions or prayers
are appreciated as I'm at the end of my rope.
Thanks,
Bill Greene in Sarasota FL

Well so far not too encouraging advice. Several asked if I had tried booting
from the Jaguar Disk. Yes at least 10 times. One suggestion that possibility
I had a bad cd disk and to try to copy to my hd. That was no problem.
Another suggestion was to use a custom installation and use basic
installation but that was what I tried to do with no luck. Unfortunately the
following letter from Brian seems closer to the mark. Thanks to all who so
quickly responded. Bill Greene

On 3/29/03 8:59 PM, "B" <mcbu at vif.com> wrote:

> Dear Bill
>
> I had the same miserable experience on my Beige G3 minitower.
>
> It isn't your monitor and changing anything in your system
> wont help. It is just an issue with the Beige G3. And apple is
> definitely aware of it, and the person there who told you they
> had no idea about it is lying. The easy way, to work around
> is to wire your HD into a B&W or a G4 Mac, do the install,
> and then transplant it back.
>
> Unfortunately, not all of us have 2 computers, (myself included).
> I eventually got mine to go, by try try trying again, and only trying
> to install a minmal configuration of an UPDATE to a previously installed
> system 10.1.4. After many tries, one time after the screen went black,
> I heard the HD still clicking, so I waited until it finished, and then
> hit 'return' several times, and after that, rebooted. I was lucky,
> and my machine at that time, gave the message .... to insert disk 2.
> However, when I did that, I was left hanging again. So I researched
> and found that the Disk 2 only installs printer drivers, and that
> You can install them manuallyafter the 10.2 system is in place,
> and booted, which is what I did.
>
> Sorry for the bad news, but I hope somehow it helps.
>
> Try and check the macintouch and the macfixit archives,  they have some
> reports on this wide spread problem
>
> good luck,
>
> Brian

> Well so far not too encouraging advice. Several asked if I had tried booting
> from the Jaguar Disk. Yes at least 10 times. One suggestion that possibility
> I had a bad cd disk and to try to copy to my hd. That was no problem.
> Another suggestion was to use a custom installation and use basic
> installation but that was what I tried to do with no luck. Unfortunately the
> following letter from Brian seems closer to the mark. Thanks to all who so
> quickly responded. Bill Greene

I would not recommend for one moment the idea of moving a drive to a
different system to accomplish the installation. An installation is
customized (by the installer) for the specific hardware it detects. I think
this option is asking for trouble.

What I have done when I encountered this with an iBook recently was to use
an external firewire CDR/RW drive. The system mounted the CD correctly (from
the external drive) , then restarted from the 10.2 CD and installed the OS
just fine.

Mark
Thanks Mark, but on the restart the disk would not boot as operating system
on a restart from my external CD R. Bill