[X Newbies] Add jaguar to old i Mac

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon Apr 7 06:59:40 PDT 2003

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 10:31  AM, Ken Gruebel wrote:

> I have an older iMac with 128 of Ram (I thought I had 256 but the
> about this computer shows only 128) Can I add enough Ram to be able to
> install Jaguar, and if so, how much do I need and what kind do I > order?

IIRC 128 MB of RAM should be enough to get you going. As far as how
much you need, that all depends on what you're doing. If you can, I'd
stick in a 512 MB module if it will work with your iMac. You can buy
them from a lot of places (I've been using OWC lately
<http://eshop.macsales.com/> ). Most places will guide you through the
process of which RAM to buy based on your computer model.

>  Lastly, can install this ram myself?

All of this depends on how old that iMac is and your comfort level with
computer disassembly. The first iMacs (the bondi blue ones) can be a
pain to upgrade, particularly if you have to get to the lower slot.
I've never had to upgrade any of the first revision candy-colored ones,
but once you get into the iMac DV and beyond its real easy to upgrade
the memory (open panel, insert memory).

If you can tell us what version of iMac you have, we (or I) can be more
specific about memory requirements and upgrade instructions. If you
need help determining the model, we can probably help with that too.

-Mike