[X Newbies] Assorted questions

Raoul Armfield armfield at amnh.org
Thu Apr 10 07:34:49 PDT 2003

:> 7  I have a one-user set up in OS X and I am, by default, the
:> administrator, but I find there are details I cannot change
:in my user
:> account, namely the 'short name'.  I entered it wrongly the
:first time
:> and can't fix it.  It pops up on various occasions and I have to
:> retype it each time.
:>
:I've wondered that myself.  I believe there is no way to
:change the short name.  If you really want to change it, I
:believe you'll have to make a new account, copy the files via
:the "shared" folders, maybe change some of the ownerships.
:It's a little complicated.  It's not hard once you know what
:you're doing, but probably you'll want to gain a little more
:experience before doing this.
:

There is a way to do this from the commandline but not sure how.
However this is from the Apple Knowledge Base

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824&SaveKCWindowURL=
http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2
Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com
&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=

Raoul