URL's for KB articles

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 10 08:20:00 PDT 2003

A helpful list member posted the following URL to an Apple
KnowledgeBase article :

> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824&SaveKCWindowURL=
> http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2
> Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com
> &showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=

Since this is a "newbies" list, Apple's KB articles are a good and
frequently used resource, and I know from past experience that some
mail programs have trouble with multi-lined URLs, I just wanted to
point out that these URL's can be shortened considerably. I didn't
realize, until someone pointed it out to me, that everything after the
article number is unnecessary. So the above URL can be shortened to <
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824> .

There's nothing wrong with the URL quoted, I just know it has made
things a little easier for me both in following and providing links to
KB articles to know how to shorten them.

-Mike