Assorted questions

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Apr 10 14:15:36 PDT 2003

> From: Jerry Krinock <dearjerry at mindspring.com>
>> 4  I find Word X crashes on me often.  Is this common and are there
>> remedies?
>>
> Word X crashes on me about once every 5 hours or so.

I haven't had any problems of that nature with Word. Make sure you're
running the latest update. If you are, you might try the old "deleting
prefs" trick.

>> 7  I have a one-user set up in OS X and I am, by default, the
>> administrator,
>> but I find there are details I cannot change in my user account,
>> namely the
>> 'short name'.  I entered it wrongly the first time and can't fix it.
>> It
>> pops up on various occasions and I have to retype it each time.
>>
> I've wondered that myself.  I believe there is no way to change the
> short
> name.

Yes, there is a way to change the short name. It's complicated and
involves using the terminal. If you're still interested, I'll explain.

_Chas_

"Executives in the PC business use the word "sexy", in such a way that
I'm always surprised to discover that their children aren't adopted.
The Mac interface is not "sexy", and it would be grotesque to want it
to be. It is, in fact, playful, often well over the line into
frivolity. The bouncing icons (and the puffs of smoke and the
pipe-organ speech synthesizer and the way dialogs tidily resize and the
drop-shadows on the windows and the jellybean buttons and the eject key
on the keyboard) are not individually rationalizable on utilitarian
grounds, and they do not pretend they mean to be. They are there to, in
aggregate, change the nature of your relationship with the device. They
are joyful, and they hope their joy is infectious." -- Glenn McDonald