[X Newbies] Assorted questions

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Fri Apr 11 06:47:25 PDT 2003

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 04:15  PM, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: Jerry Krinock <dearjerry at mindspring.com>
>>> 4  I find Word X crashes on me often.  Is this common and are there
>>> remedies?
>>>
>> Word X crashes on me about once every 5 hours or so.
>>
> I haven't had any problems of that nature with Word. Make sure you're
> running the latest update. If you are, you might try the old "deleting
> prefs" trick.

And if that doesn't work, try the opposite. In one of many cases where
I didn't follow my own advice of not upgrading unless the upgrade has
something I need (if it aint broke, don't fix it), I installed one of
the Office upgrades. My reward was frequent crashes in Word, though
Excel never seemed to have a problem.

Although I tried deleting prefs, repairing permissions, running
DiskWarrior (all the usual stuff), the only fix was to completely
delete everything Office and reinstall the older version.

In fairness I should say that I didn't try upgrading the newly
installed Office. It may be that the upgrade simply exposed a problem
that had already occurred, but not previously presented itself. But,
since the upgrade doesn't do anything I need, I'm going to follow my
own advice (for now).

-Mike