[X Newbies] Add jaguar to old i Mac

Mike Binstock mikebinstock at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 04:34:25 PDT 2003

I have an Imac from 1998 which has 384mb of ram and
and a newly installed 60GB hard drive.. I made the
decsion to put Jag on it and I have been very happy
thus far.

Things to be aware of (my advice to ya)

1. Get at least a 40gb hard drive
2. partion the drive this way 7 gigs for os x, 1 gig
for os 9.2.2., and the rest (32gig) for applications
and files.  The reason you have to make the boot disk
less then 8 is due to the fact that the imac will only
look for the boot software on the first 8 gigs of the
drive.   having that seperate partion with os 9 means
you can boot off of it in case of troubles with the
first partion.
3. buy more memory, 128 will not do it.  Buy as much
as you can afford and I would not think about puttin
os x on until your over 300mb of memory.
4. this is kinda of an aside but I experimenting with
Pine and lynx which makes internet surfing VERY FASTS.
 If you have the developer tools download those and
put them on the 1st partion then get Fink so you can
explore more of OS X's quicker sides. :)

Mike