[X Newbies] Booting from cloned Firewire drive

leigh lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 21:13:10 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 8:33 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> This is the best way, but remember to be patient.  When I do this,
> first it
> takes about 20 seconds for the firewire disk to show up, then it takes
> about
> another 60 seconds of spinning watch cursor before it allows me to
> select
> it.  No explanations.  The user interface of Open Firmware is very
> primitive!

Usually, that time is spent looking for a server from which to NetBoot.
Since a NetBoot Server could potentially be busy, there is a longer
timeout for that search.

You should be able to do Cmd-. (Command-period) to cancel it from
looking for the network disk, to reduce that timeout.

There isn't much space for fancy interface in Open Firmware -- it's a
rather small amount of code with a small memory footprint.