[X Newbies] Docjector App shows as a drive

Bernard Munter bernard1 at cyberone.com.au
Thu Apr 24 17:14:54 PDT 2003

On 25/4/2003 0922, "Diego Terneus" <dtern at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Anne,
> What you need to do is double-click on the disk image on your desktop, it
> should open exposing the application and perhaps a "read-me" file, and some
> other files the author may have included. Drag the application to
> Applications folder (or if  you don't want to share the applications with
> others that may be using your machine, to your Applications folder in the
> Users folder [HD-->Users-->YourFolder-->Applications] )
>
> On 4/23/03 11:37, "Anne Keller-Smith" <earthpigz at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> At 3:14 PM -0700 4/19/03, Jerry Krinock wrote:
>>> This may be one of the few times I am actually able to give a correct answer
>>> to a simple question.  I believe what you have on your desktop is not the
>>> alias; it is the disk image which you downloaded.  Whey you say "doesn't
>>> want to be gotten rid of", I assume that you cannot drag it to the Trash.
>>> If all this is true, the problem is that you cannot trash a disk image.  You
>>> must "Eject" it instead.  Select it and type cmd-E, or else select it and
>>> then pull down your FInder's File menu to Eject.  You may also have an Eject
>>> button on your keyboard in the top right.

>> Jerry,
>>
>> I actually have realized there's another simple problem. I thought the
>> app was installed on the hard drive; actually it's not. What happened
>> when tried to copy it to the Applications folder was it made an alias.
>> Guess I don't want to delete the desktop image unless I have a copy.
>> Seems the disk image is where the app is launching from?

Option-drag the mounted disk image (disk icon) on your desktop to your
Applications folder or wherever you want to keep it. This copies the volume
across as a folder (like OS9) with a custom icon which you can remove using
Get Info, then Eject the volume from your desktop.

The disk image file (.dmg) itself you can keep in a folder to save
downloading it again.