[X Newbies] Where do downloads go?

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Fri Aug 8 12:50:45 PDT 2003

There are two questions here: Where do downloads go? Where did THAT
download go?

If you're looking for your last download, and your browser is Safari or
IE, it's fairly easy to find the download.

Safari: Go to the Window menu and select Downloads (or type
option-command-small L). The last item in the downloads window will be
the most recent download. If the download is completed, there is a
magnifying glass icon to the right of the download item. Clicking on
the magnifying class will open the finder window that contains the
downloaded file.

IE: Go to the Window menu and select Download Manager (or type
command-4). The last item in the download manager window will be the
most recent download. If the download is completed, double-click on its
name or the @ icon. In the dialog that appears, clicking on "Reveal in
Finder" will open the finder window that contains the downloaded file.

AOL X: Go to Download Manager in the FIle menu. Select the item you're
interested in and click "open", or double-click.

Navigator 7.1: Tools>Download Manager. Select the item you're
interested in and click on "Show FIle Location" from the window's menu.
The path to the file will be shown on the bottom of the Download
Manager window, and the finder window that contains the file will open.

As far as where do downloads go, Safari, AOL, and IE allow you to
change the download location from the Preferences panels. You can find
the Preferences item in the menu next to the blue apple. Within
Preferences, you can specify the download location from the General
panel in Safari, the Download panel in AOL, or the Download Options
panel from IE.

Navigator's approach is different (AFAIK). You specify the download
location in the dialog box that comes up for each download. Or you can
specify the helper application from Preferences and choose the default
download handling from there.

Finding downloaded files is a recurring problem for even-not-so-newby
users in both MacOS and Windows. It doesn't help that the problem's
solution is browser- (and browser version-) dependent. Hope this helps
a little.

Jon
========