[X Newbies] Apple and all of these viruses?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Aug 23 15:04:08 PDT 2003

Chris Walker said:

>Since this is a Newbie list, it might be worth someone posting a quick
>rundown on how to check that your Mac is locked down.  For example, is it
>worth setting up separate admin and user accounts (users without admin
>privileges), given that many machines are single user.

Maybe.  In any case, it might be a good idea to have both on your machine
to help you deal with (unfortunately too common) corrupted users
preferences problems.  See:
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html
Item # 6

>Check firewall is
>on (but how do you stop malicious code from dialling out).

Well, first, I don't think that using a FireWall is necessary unless you
are a business user.  It certainly isn't necessary if you don't have
broadband.  But even then, of all the users on the dozen or so discussion
lists I'm on, over several years since broadband has become commonly
available, no one has ever reported that a hacker has gotten into their
machine through their broadband connection.

LITTLE SNITCH alerts you to outgoing network connections.

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

>Is it really
>worth having anti-virus software and which seems the most effective?

I think that it is a good idea.  You can still pick up a virus that will
infect Classic.  My favorite anti-viral utility for OS X is:

Intego Virus Barrier X
http://www.intego.com/virusbarrier/home.html

Though a copy of Virex is included with a .Mac subscription, and that
works just fine.

>OK Randy, it's probably all in the Macintosh Bible, but a quick rundown
>might be useful :-)

The last edition of TMB that I wrote for was the 6th edition.  They are
now up to the 8th edition, and I no longer recommend TMB.  There are much
better books for OS X.  I highly recommend Pogue's OS X - The Missing
Manual.

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common Macintosh OS X Jaguar Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html