[X Newbies] Apple and all of these viruses?

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Sun Aug 24 14:18:01 PDT 2003

At 9:30 AM -0400 8/24/03, Florin Alexander Neumann wrote:
>(2) Does that mean the Mac is invulnerable and I don't need a virus utility?
>A: No. Mac viruses are rare, and there have been no OS X viruses
>reported as yet. But it's likely that it's only a matter of time
>before an OS X virus shows up.

Why, oh why, is this presented as one point?

...Does that mean the Mac is invulnerable? To currently known
malware, yes. Which has no bearing whatsoever on what is yet
unwritten or unknown.

...Does that mean that I don't need a virus utility? No, you don't
need a virus utility to protect you from Mac OS X viruses - none are
yet known to exist. You can acquire a utility to 1) prevent/remove
Windows viruses on your Mac (halting propagation), 2) prevent/remove
malingnant macros that exploit vulnerabilities in Microsoft's macro
language in its cross-platform Office line. You *cannot* purchase a
virus utility to protect you from as-yet-unknown/unwritten malware
unless you actually believe that such code will be written without
current preventative mechanisms in mind.

--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]